Capital Trees is seeking a passionate, driven, creative, and visionary professional as their new Executive Director
Founded in 2010, Capital Trees is a Richmond, VA 501 (c)(3) non-profit whose mission is to create a greener, more beautiful Richmond through the thoughtful planning, planting and maintaining of public landscapes. We advocate for the powerful connection between people and nature.
This is a significant hire for the Capital Trees as the organization pivots from being volunteer and board-led, to hiring its first compensated Executive Director (E.D.). After 7 years and over $1.5 million donor investment in Capital Trees led projects, the organization is preparing to move into its next phase of growth. It seeks a visionary leader to help it achieve this important transition toward organizational maturity.
The Board of Directors (the Board) seeks a candidate who demonstrates:
- Expertise in fundraising and a familiarity with the donor community, including grant writing, annual giving, capital campaigns and corporate solicitation
- Experience working with public/private organizations
- Strategic planning experience
- Administration experience
- Commitment to the environment and public green space
- Project management experience
The E.D. reports directly to the Chair of the Board and will work closely with the Board to implement the strategic goals and long-term direction of the organization. The E.D. will have primary responsibility for the operational management, programs and execution of mission.
As Capital Trees is still a small organization, the E.D. will also need to have a generalist skill set, performing many of the management functions him/herself.
- Donor engagement and stewardship
- Plan and execute day-to-day operations of the organization including establishing policies and procedures for the employment and administrative functions of Capital Trees
- Establish and maintain relationships with organizations that strategically complement Capital Trees’ mission.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Board and its committees; seek their counsel and support in policy decisions, fundraising, and programming; work with the Board to increase the overall visibility and public profile of Capital Trees.
- Review and approve contracts for services
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Other duties as assigned by the Board
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The E.D. will be thoroughly committed to Capital Trees mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. The successful candidate will possess a blend of the following demonstrable skills, experiences, and other qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years in senior non-profit management
- Proven leadership with a reputation for high integrity and leadership
- A successful history of fundraising and donor relations
- Experience with budget preparation, management, analysis, sound fiscal decision making and clear reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and implementation
- Skills to support, engage and collaborate with and motivate Board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong public speaking ability
- Experience with donor databases
- Experience with Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
This position offers a competitive salary consistent with other organizations of similar size, scope and scale.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Molly Anderson, Chair
Human Resources Committee
200 South Third Street
Richmond, VA 23219
OR, electronically to Molly Anderson
Competitive candidates will be interviewed by phone, and in person by the Human Resources Committee before a final decision is made. The review and interview process will begin as qualified candidates are identified. All submissions should be made no later than February 28, 2018.
Specific inquiries can be made to Molly Anderson, Chair, Human Resources Committee or Susan Robertson, Chair, Board of Directors.
All submissions and inquiries will be held in strict confidence.